textproduct: Houston/Galveston
This forecast discussion was created in the public domain by the National Weather Service. It can be found in its original form here.
KEY MESSAGES
- With more sun, temperatures will run above seasonal averages, though humidity will be somewhat lower.
- Can't completely rule out a brief shower or two over the next couple of days, but the best rain chances remain offshore.
- Hazardous marine conditions (winds/seas) are expected at times, more so toward the end of the work week from a nearby tropical system.
DISCUSSION
Issued at 1203 AM CDT Thu Oct 8 2026
A trough axis continues to linger overhead along, but overall dry conditions prevail even in spite of PW values near or over the 75th percentile (~1.63") south of I-10. We can thank a capping inversion aloft around 800-750mb which has kept anything more than a few to scattered low-level clouds to develop this afternoon. This is also in spite of an embedded shortwave passing through this afternoon, but the best region of PVA was technically off to our east. High temperatures today topped out mostly in the low 90s, but will be a tad bit hotter coming up on Thursday.
A pocket of drier air moves in from the east late Thursday into Friday and brings PW values closer to the 25th percentile (~0.94"). 850mb temperatures will be fairly close to the 90th percentile, and since drier air heats up more efficiently...expect high temperatures to peak in the low to mid 90s. Dry air also cools more efficiently too, so low temperatures on Thursday and Friday night will range from the mid 60s to low 70s. The drier air also limits our rain chances on Thursday, but slight chances return on Friday as moisture increases in our southeastern zones as Isaias approaches the north central Gulf coast. These rain chances are dependent on how far east Isaias goes though...AKA the further east it tracks, the lower our rain chances on Friday afternoon.
While we won't see any direct impacts from this system, there are expected to be a few indirect impacts with most of them being marine related. These include: hazardous seas in the Gulf waters, increased risk of rip currents, and potential for minor coastal flooding along Gulf-facing beaches late in the work week. The air won't be as dry on Friday, so we'll only see high temperatures maxing out in the upper 80s to low 90s. Going into Saturday, as Isaias moves inland some drier air is expected to be pulled in with northerly flow on the western side of the system. In yesterday's discussion, I mentioned that slightly cooler 850mb temperatures would accompany this drier air. Well...with the eastward shift in Isaias' forecast, so with it went the slightly cooler 850mb temperatures. So, we'll stick with our high temperatures in the upper 80s to low 90s.
Ridging aloft builds in late in the weekend going into early next week leading to a slight uptick in temperatures and potentially increasing rain chances depending on how quickly moisture builds back in going into early next week. On the plus side, low temperatures over the weekend will be mostly in the 60s to low 70s, but will be on the rise back into the low to mid 70s going into early next week.
That marks the end of this discus...NOT SO FAST MY FRIEND! Join me again in the bonus section down below and let's check in to see if our mid-October miracle is still in play.
Bonus Section: Hunting for a REAL Cold Front Pt. 2// ----------------------------------------------------
We'll start out with the caveat/disclaimer that this is in no way, shape, or form a part of the official forecast. This is essentially me just looking into fantasy land for a glimmer of hope in the form of a real cold front...some like to call it wish-casting, but I prefer to call it manifesting!
Last night, we checked out the GEFS and Euro ensembles and at least half of them reflected low temperatures below 60 degrees for the City of Houston at some point in mid-October. Well...that still remains the case! The Euro ensembles show a higher probability of occurrence (40 out of 50 members) and the GEFS ensemble members are still just over 50% onboard (17 out of 30 members). There is variations in time of occurrence and that's to be expected looking this far out in the future. The trends continue to hold, and that gives us another tick in the confidence column. There's still lots of time for things to change, but we'll continue to believe! I also mentioned yesterday that I'd be updating y'all on these mid-October front trends through the weekend, but there's been a slight change of plans thanks to the happenings in the Gulf. I'll be back in on the forecast desk Sunday night, but I'll have my fingers and toes crossed that the trends hold!
Batiste
AVIATION
(12Z TAF Issuance) Issued at 548 AM CDT Thu Oct 8 2026
VFR conditions are expected through the TAF periods. Winds will generally be light and from the northeast. Winds should be a little higher near the immediate coast, possibly gusting 15-20 knots by this evening.
MARINE
Issued at 1203 AM CDT Thu Oct 8 2026
Caution flags remain up in the Gulf waters as moderate northeasterly winds persist. Look for winds to increase going into Thursday as Isaias becomes a hurricane and continues on its northeastward trek towards the north central Gulf coast where it's expected to make landfall late Friday night. Small Craft Advisories go into effect for the Gulf waters on Thursday morning, but there is some uncertainty on how strong the winds will be on the western side of Isaias. The potential for hazardous winds (15-25 kt) and seas (peaking around 6-9 ft) will continue through Saturday. Elevated water levels during times of high tide (peaking above 3.5 ft MLLW) and increased risk of rip currents are also anticipated due to Isaias late this week. Mariners are advised to stay up to date on the latest forecasts. Winds and seas gradually subside over the weekend.
Additionally, there are daily chances for scattered showers/storms mainly in the Gulf waters through Saturday before drier air briefly moves in. Rain chances then return early next week.
PRELIMINARY POINT TEMPS/POPS
College Station (CLL) 92 66 90 66 / 0 0 0 10 Houston (IAH) 91 70 90 70 / 0 0 30 20 Galveston (GLS) 86 76 86 75 / 0 0 20 20
HGX WATCHES/WARNINGS/ADVISORIES
TX...High Rip Current Risk through late Friday night for TXZ436>439.
GM...Small Craft Should Exercise Caution until 7 AM CDT this morning for GMZ350-355-370-375.
Small Craft Advisory until 1 AM CDT Saturday for GMZ350-355-370- 375.
IMPORTANT This is an independent project and has no affiliation with the National Weather Service or any other agency. Do not rely on this website for emergency or critical information: please visit weather.gov for the most accurate and up-to-date information available.
textproduct.us is built and maintained by Joshua Thayer.